Sunday, January 6, 2008

Anatomy of a political yard sign...

Last night, while watching Chris M. of MSNBC fame sleep through the Republican debate at St. Anselms College, I pondered the importance of this little state on this huge election.  There I was, amongst beautiful people, locals and yocals, newsmen and politicians, children and a future first ladies.

At the debate's conclusion, moderator Charlie Gibson had the Democrats enter the stage to greet the departing Republicans, and my buddy commented to "enjoy the show, as one of these ten folks on stage will be our next president."

I was one of the 500 or so folks lucky enough to be in the audience.  In NH, we've got some 1.3M folks here in the state, and just less than 500k are expected to cast a ballot. Retail politics at it's best, and the politicians know it.  They all have a real appreciation for what this state can do to launch a candidate into overdrive.

Iowa is nice enough...corn shucking, neighborly meetings, strong arming, open neighborly debates where everyone knows who supports who.  In New Hampshire it's a tad different.

Some folks will put up a yard sign, bumper sticker, hold coffees, and house parties...but most keep their decision private, unknown to the pollsters, neighbors, friends and even spouses.

Most do not want a sign in their yard to chagrin their good friend and neighbor.  They will study, cheer for, and support their candidate ever so privately.

Not me.  I have always displayed my support for national contests on the front lawn and the rear bumper of the car, but for the locals.  Until about four years ago, when young man running for State Rep I believe, stopped by when I was herniating my disc with a big old piece of New Hampshire granite.  Off came the work gloves, and we shook hands.  This fellow explained his positions, and convinced ME to put HIS sign on MY yard....this was a first for a local election.  Up went the sign, and down went his campaign.

During the 2004 national elections, I had a Bush sign in the yard of my little brick house.  Across the way, a proud bank founder's son had a Kucinich sign. Fair enough.  Up here in New Hampshire, we are meeting the candidates at our neighbor's homes....very neat, up close and personal, and really truly amazing.  I am also fond of debating, may attempt to convert you, but always respect their decisions.

This banker's son invited me over to his home to meet Kucinich, and I took him up on it.  The NY Times reporters were there, interviews were taken, and questions were asked....another NH Primary house party comes and goes.

Months later, on the morning after Bush's re-election victory, my neighbor was loading some firewood into his wheelbarrow, and I politely, perhaps smugly, commented across the street something like "Boy, some election last night, huh?"  This guy was fuming, the banker's son, proud to have broken ranks with his Republican roots, could not even lift his head and look at me.  I mean, I was the neighbor he liked the most!  I was the neighbor that would snowblow his driveway, I was the neighbor that would help them identify friend versus foe garden plants??  I thought I was a friend??  My wife and I attended their wedding, for God's sake!

I could feel the disgust...the anger, the hatred for me, and voters like me, that I have never felt before.... all over a stupid political sign, a Republican sign, a Bush sign in my yard.

What a jerk, I thought.  I would never treat a supporter of any party this way....especially a neighbor and friend.  His disgust consumed him, and eventually they moved out west where there were "more people like them" (his words, not mine).  Off they went to a quaint little town, 45 miles west of this "closed minded, brainwashed Republican" (again, his words, not mine).

No comments:

Please suppport our advertisers...

Survive a PC disaster with Carbonite Online Backup